The Powerful Healing of EMDR Therapy
Are you seeking a powerful therapy to address trauma, anxiety, and other emotional challenges? Look no further than Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy -a treatment that plays a signifiant role in the healing process for individuals.
What is EMDR therapy?
EMDR therapy, developed by Dr. Francine Shapiro in the late 1980s, is a highly focused 8-phased evidenced-based treatment that helps people heal from traumatic and other life-distressing events.
A Different Type of Therapy
EMDR therapy is distinct from many traditional talk therapies due to its unique focus on bilateral stimulation and the processing of traumatic or distressing memories. Here’s what sets EMDR therapy apart:
- Bilateral Stimulation: One of the key features of EMDR is bilateral stimulation, which involves engaging the brain’s natural processing abilities through sensory inputs like eye movements, tapping, or sounds.
- Targeted Memory Processing: EMDR primarily focuses on helping individuals process and heal from distressing memories, especially those related to traumatic experiences. The therapy aims to help patients reprocess these memories so that they become less distressing and emotionally charged over time.
- 8 phases: EMDR therapy is consists of eight phases, each with specific objectives. These steps guide the therapist and client through the process of addressing and reprocessing traumatic memories
By processing traumatic memories, EMDR aims to reduce the emotional charge, leading to a decrease in symptoms like flashbacks, nightmares, and anxiety. The therapy also focuses on helping individuals replace negative beliefs with positive ones, fostering a more balanced and healthy perspective on the self and the traumatic event.
EMDR Therapy has been helpful in treating many problems such as:
- Post-Traumatic Disorder
- Traumatic Events such as Childhood Trauma
- Anxiety / Panic Attacks
- Physical and Emotional Abuse
- Complicated Grief
- Sexual Abuse
- Life Adjustment Issues
- and more
Benefits of EMDR therapy
- Relief from distressing symptoms
- Feeling more joy and peace in life
- Letting go of past hurts
- Learning to love yourself
Reclaim Your Life
It’s time to begin healing from the past so you can reclaim your life. Get started by requesting an initial appointment.
References: The EMDR Institute, EMDRIA.org